Now that you’ve scheduled your wind mitigation inspection, it’s important to know how to prepare your home. While a wind mitigation inspection generally doesn’t take more than 30 minutes, it is very important to ensure your home is ready. We need to evaluate your roof covering, roof decking, roof to wall connection, roof permit status, windows and doors, roof geometry, and if you have a secondary water resistance (SWR) barrier.
Please read this carefully! These are the things we need from you:
- Access to the attic. We will be required to enter the attic space. If your attic has a pull-down ladder, please ensure it is functional and there is enough clearance to use it. If your attic does not have a pull-down ladder, we will use our own ladder. Please ensure there is enough space for our ladder to be used safely and there are no belongings in the way. For safety and liability reasons, we will only use our own ladder. You do not need to furnish a ladder as we will come fully prepared.
- Any paperwork you may have. This includes paperwork for your roof, windows, garage door, skylights, hurricane shutters, etc. While we do research permits on every home we inspect sometimes we cannot locate the records we may need.
- Clear access to windows and garage door(s). We must be able to positively identify the types of windows and/or opening protection.
- Your window coverings. If you have plywood, metal shutters, or any other system in place, please ensure we are able to take photos of these items.
- Pets should be put away or closely controlled. We love dogs and cats but it is important to ensure your pet is put up in another room or their kennel. As we move through the systems in your home and complete our inspection, it is important that pets are kept away while we are working in your electric panel and climbing ladders.
For safety and liability reasons, we are limited on what items we will move if belongings hinder our inspection. If any area or component is considered inaccessible and reasonable access isn’t available, we will not be able to provide a complete report and your inspection will have to be rescheduled for another time and you will incur an additional charge.
If you had a wind mitigation inspection in the past, please let us know and provide a copy if possible. It is important to understand we do not make any decisions on what insurance credits you will receive. During a wind mitigation inspection, we are only an information collector for your insurance company. Any questions regarding your policy should be directed to your insurance carrier.
Thank you for taking the time to prepare your home for us. We promise the process will be as quick and efficient as possible if these guidelines are followed. We look forward to being your home inspectors!